The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) had mandated every network provider to block all SIM cards that have not yet link their NIN with their SIM cards.
Failure to submit your National Identity Number before 31 December 2020 will lead to disconnection of your SIM. You link your National Identity Number to more than one sim as directed by the Nigerian Identity Management Commission (NIMC).
Due to Corona Virus Pandemic, the federal government has made it easy for us to link our NIN to our SIMs without physically going to any network office providers. We can summit our National Identity number right from the comfort of our homes just using a short code provided from your network provider. So, if you haven’t done your National Identity Card yet please, I urge to do that as soon as possible.
However, if you already have your NIN Number with you already and you are still not sure on how to go about linking your National Identity Number to mobile number. Here are a few steps below for you to follow.
How to Link Your National Identity Number To Your Network Provider?
Below are the unique codes that allow you to link or summit your national identity number (NIN) to your Network Provider.
For Airtel Users
- Dial *121# on your airtel network.
- Enter option 1 which says “NIN Capture”
- Tap on the Send button on your Phone.
- Enter the 11-digit NIN on your card and send.
- Once that is done, you will receive a confirmation message on your phone.
For MTN users
- Dial *785#
- A notification screen will pop-up stating “Yello! Please enter your 11-digits NIN.”
- Enter your 11-digit NIN as seen on your ID card.
- Then Tap
- You will receive a confirmation message stating “Yello! Your NIN has been successfully received. Kindly note that this is subject to verification, as all NINs will be validated by NIMC. Thank you.”
- You also visit the MTN website to link your NIN to your SIM.
For GLO users
- Send “UPDATENIN YOUR-NIN-HERE firstname Lastname* to 109
- Example; “UPDATENIN 12345678903 Ekene Muhammed Babaola” To 109
- Or visit the Glo website to input your NIN details>> GloWorld
For 9Mobile Users
For 9mobile users;
- Dial *200*8#
- Next type 1*YOUR-NIN#
How to Check NIN if You Have Misplaced Your NIN Card.
To retrieve your lost NIN simply Dial *346# on your phone. This option only works for those who have already enrolled for NIMC and have lost their card.
How can I get my National Identity Number?
Ok, to get your National Identity Number. Kindly visit any cybercafé operations in your area or any Local Government councils in your states to obtain your own NIN card. You can also obtain a National Identity card from the bank.
Please, to avoid stories that touch please make sure to link or summit your NIN to your SIM before the 31st of December 2020. Because once your SIMs are disconnected or blocked noting like “welcome back” you will be forced to register a new SIM.