Today virtually every website developers prefer to develop their website with localhost (XAMMP) before uploading it on a live host server. Though are much reason why some web developers prefer using localhost first before moving their site to a live site. One of the reason could be the cost of data because using a localhost server doesn’t require the use of data which makes it less expensive.
Moving a WordPress site from localhost to live server is quite easy and simple. So as a newbie on this page you don’t have to be scared at all there is nothing in moving a WordPress site. At first when I started learning how to design a site am always scared whenever I want to upload a site online, so it normal especially if this is your first time.
on this article am going to show you various ways on how you can move WordPress From Localhost To Online Host Server. We have different ways of moving a site a from localhost server to a live site server but there are easier ways of moving a WordPress site by using a Plugin call WP-MIGRATE-DB I prefer using this plugin because it makes work easier and simple for me. Before we get started, make sure that your WordPress site is fully running on your Localhost server.
Next, your domain and web hosting should be ready. But you haven’t registered yet, you can register a domain or host on GoDaddy, NameCheap, BlueHost, you can choose any web hosting provider of choice. Also, Qserver and garanntor.ng are Nigeria Number 1 trusted hosting company providers, they offer you a better discount with a free domain also.
If you have the following ready, then we ready to go.
Install or Download the WP-MIGRATE-DB Plugin
Our first step is to install or download WP-MIGRATE-DB Plugin. We can do this in two ways first you can directly install this plugin on your localhost server. Go to Plugins at the left side of your WordPress site dashboard>>>> Click On Add New>>>> Then go to the Search box and type in WP-MIGRATE-DB>>>> scroll down to the list and click on Install Now.
For the next step visit wordpress.org to download WP-MIGRATE-DB plugin Go to Plugins>>>> Click Add New>>>> Click On Upload Plugin>>> and Upload your file.
Export Localhost WordPress Database
To export your localhost WordPress database. Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ and click on WordPress database. Next click on the export button at the top
STEP 1: BACKING-UP AND UPLOADING DATABASE
- INSTALL AND ACTIVATE *WP-MIGRATE-DB*
- AFTER THAT REFRESH THE PAGE
- POINT ON TOOLS ON THE LEFT MENU
- SELECT *MIGRATE DB*
- REPLACE THE URL IN THIS FORMAT => //site.com
- REPEAT SAME FOR THE SECOND FIELD
(You can exclude revision if you like)
WHEN YOU ARE DONE, CLICK MIGRATE
WATCH AND WAIT FOR A FEW SECONDS AS PROCESS COMPLETES
THEN SAVE THE DOWNLOAD DB FILE
STEP 2: LOGIN TO CPANEL
- LOGIN TO YOUR CPANEL DASHBOARD
- USE THE MySQL DATABASE WIZARD TO CREATE NEW DATABASE AND SET PASSWORD
- IN THE LAST PAGE SELECT ALL PRIVILEGE
- FINALIZE THE PROCESS
(take note of your dbname, username, password. )
STEP 3 STILL ON CPANEL
- OPEN PHPMYADMIN
- SELECT THE DATABASE YOU CREATE EARLIER
- CLICK IMPORT ON THE TOP MENU
- SELECT THE SAVED DATABASE FILE IN *STEP 1* ABOVE
- SCROLL DOWN TO THE PAGE BOTTOM
UPLOADING FILE AND WP SETUP
- OPEN THE SITE FOLDER IN htdocs
- HIGHLIGHT ALL WITH CTRL+A
- RIGHT CLICK AND SEND TO *Compressed (Zipped) Folder*
- KEEP OR RENAME THE ZIPPED FOLDER
- LOGIN TO CPANEL AGAIN
- OPEN FILE MANAGER
- SCROLL DOWN TO OPEN PUBLIC HTML
- CLICK UPLOAD ON THE TOP TOOLBAR
- IN THE NEXT PAGE SELECT THE PREVIOUSLY ZIPPED FILE AND UPLOAD
- WAIT TILL UPLOAD ID COMPLETE
CLICK GO BACK TO PREVIOUS FOLDER
- AFTER UPLOADING
- RIGHTCLICK ON THE UPLOADED ZIPPED FILE
- CLICK EXTRACT
- CLICK OK WHEN IT IS DONE
IN THE SAME SITE FOLDER(ONLINE)
OPEN WP-CONFIG.PHP (To enter WP-CONFIG.PHP Right click on WP-CONFIG.PHP and select Edit)
ENTER YOUR DATABASE DETAILS
- Define (‘DB_NAME’, ‘your_database_name’);
- Define (‘DB_USER’, ‘your_database_user’);
- Define (‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘your_database_password’);
- Define (‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost’);
(take note of your database name)
If you find this post helpful please share this post with your friends using the share button below and For any question or help you use the comment box below.